Grimsby’s Ragged Schools

ragged school.pngFounded in 1869 the Grimsby Ragged school took the first step towards providing its own home when the foundation stone of a new building in Albert Street was laid by the Countess of Yarborough.

 "Ragged Schools" were institutions to provide some education for very poor children whose parents either could not, or neglected to send them to school (compulsory education did not come in to power until 1870.) The Ragged schools were founded by philanthropic people and were conducted mostly on Sundays. This meant that the children attending them could only receive scanty instructions, but they had at least opportunity to learn and read and acquire knowledge of simple arithmetic.

Grimsby's Ragged School was started on August 1 1869 by two working men T Hurst and Mark Humphrey. They had noted a large number of poorly dressed children wandering the streets on Sundays, so they hired a room in Freeman Street and enrolled about 60 children. As the numbers grew they changed premises to Nelson Street. Later the Nelson street property changed hands so they sought funds and built a hall in Albert Street. By this time there were 230 boys and girls regularly attending school.